- QUARTER ONE
- Research Career Path/s
- Research Colleges/Vocational Programs/Military Branches that fits your career path
- Apply for College/Vocational Programs/Military Branches
- Apply for Financial Aid (FAFSA)
- Financing your future
Week of September 5th - 9th and Week of September 11th - 15th
1. Take JUNG TEST and complete the worksheet. (See Mrs. Sherman for worksheet.) Please print off your test results before you close out of this site. You will need this information to complete the worksheet. You may also read and look at Career Exploration. http://studentaid.ed.gov/prepare-for-college/careers
2. Share 10 adjectives in via email or Google Docs with Mrs. Sherman. Remember to highlight your top 3 adjectives that most describe you. Also remember, these words will be used during your interview and while writing your cover letter. Due Friday, September 8th.
3. Begin "Dare to Dream"
Create a poster. (see Mrs. Sherman) Presentations will follow.
Week of September 18th - 22nd and Week of September 25th - 29th
- Exploring Career Options: Look at the following webpages:
- Look at BigFuture (linked) on the College Board website. Login using your Collegeboard account. Utilizing your handouts I gave you, please navigate this website. This is an excellent website, and the information is very important if you plan to attend any post high school training: community college, college, vocational training, and military. Under the link, Make A Plan, start researching careers and colleges. Choose at lease 2 -3 careers and colleges you would like to further explore.
- Look at Roadtripnation.com Create an account. (see if your Collegeboard account works, if not, create an account.) Explore career options.
- Additional exploration of colleges/schools: Sign up for campus visits via the college/school homepage. If there is not a college visit link, email or call the admissions office to schedule a campus/school visit. You are allowed a school related absence for college visits. Please see Mrs. Sherman for details. Also, college recruiters will be visiting JHS. Make sure you listen to the announcements, look for flyers in hallways, or see Mrs. Sherman.
- If the military is in your future, you may look into the following military branches (linked): Air Force, Army, Marines, Navy, National Guard, Coast Guard
I will contact recruiters if you are interested in the military.
- Begin the process of applying to colleges, military, trade schools, vocational programs.
October is College Application and Financial Aid Month
* FAFSA NIGHT (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is scheduled for Wednesday, October18th, 5:30 PM in Room 212
* PLEASE BRING YOUR PARENTS OR A PARENT. ALSO, PLEASE BRING YOUR AND YOUR PARENTS' 2016 TAXES. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO COMPLETE YOUR FAFSA ONLINE. COMPLETION OF YOUR FAFSA IS REQUIRED FOR FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FROM MOST SCHOOLS.
Week of October 2nd-6th and Week of October 9th - 13th
- EXPLORE, EXPLORE, EXPLORE!!! If you are still uncertain as to where you want to go to school to start your career, please take this seriously.
- Before applying to any program (college, vocational, community, military, etc.) It is important to please talk with your parents and be sure to include them in this process.
- FINANCIAL AID: Read and explore the following webpage and its links: http://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/ You will be using this website throughout this course.
- Explore Free Application for Federal and Student Aid (FAFSA) Please watch the video.
- Create your FSA ID and begin filling out FAFSA (linked above)
Week 7 – October 16th-20th
- Continue college applications and FAFSA all week!
- Dare to Dream presentations for students who want extra credit. (replace lowest grade)
Week 8 – October 23rd-27th and Week 9 – October 30th - November 3rd
REMEMBER: 100% completion for applications to schools and FAFSA must be done by October 31st.
- 5th hour will have a pizza/Halloween party on this day, if our class achieves 100% completion.
- Begin Interviews with Mr. Keteri and Mrs. Sherman
- Begin thinking about a career topic you would like to research for your career research paper. (Tie it into your career interest.)
- Submit topic via email to Mrs. Sherman by Friday, Nov. 3rd.